Die innovative „NextGen“-Schmelzwanne von Ardagh leistet einen wichtigen Beitrag zur CO2-Reduktion in der Glasproduktion.
At the end of 2023, first amber coloured bottles were produced with the innovative NextGen Furnace from Ardagh Glass Packaging (AGP) in Obernkirchen (Germany). The hybrid furnace makes an important contribution to the decarbonisation of the container glass industry.
Jens Schaefer, Operations Director, AGP-Germany, commented: “We are delighted with the start-up performance of the NextGen Furnace. To see the first amber coloured bottles coming off the line has been a proud moment for the team.” As part of a three-day opening ceremony, representatives from customers, suppliers, policy makers, industry partners and media had the opportunity to see some of the first amber coloured bottles being produced with the new NextGen Furnace – with the low-carbon technology.
NextGen Furnace with innovative low-carbon technology
The innovative low-carbon technology uses hybrid melting technology: up to 80% of all melting energy is supplied by electrodes directly heating the glass. The remaining 20% of energy is supplied by flame radiation – while using a high level of recycled glass. The NextGen furnace started up as a conventional furnace using 20% renewable electricity and 80% gas and is now progressing through a planned start-up sequence in switching to a target of 80% renewable electricity and 20% gas over the coming months, to deliver maximum energy efficiency and decarbonisation.
Significant CO2-reduction of up to 69%
To coincide with production of the first amber coloured bottles, a recent independently verified Life Cycle Analysis has indicated that, once the NextGen Furnace is operating at 80% renewable electricity and 20% gas, there will be a 69%1) reduction in CO2 from a typical 330ml glass bottle produced in the new furnace, compared with one produced in a conventional AGP furnace.
Martin Petersson, CEO AGP-Europe, says “This is an incredible breakthrough for the glass industry. The potential to produce a glass bottle with a 69% reduction in CO2 is a significant step towards decarbonising the glass manufacturing process.”
About the NextGen Furnace
Target: 80% renewable electricity, 20% gas for maximum decarbonisation
Up to 350 tonnes per day; up to 70% cullet
Producing amber beer bottles – the most challenging colour to produce - it will also be capable of producing other colours
Life Cycle Analysis (externally verified): 69% reduction across Scope 1,2 and 3 emissions (when operating at 80% renewable electricity and 20% gas) using actual data and theoretical NextGen data.
The NextGen Furnace is funded via the program ‘Decarbonisation of Industry’ by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Climate Action (BMWK), and the funding program is managed by the Competence Centre on Climate Change Mitigation in Energy-Intensive Industries (KEI). BMWK supports energy-intensive industries in Germany in their efforts to reduce process-related greenhouse gas emissions. The project is also supported by the European Union ‘NextGenerationEU’ fund.
1) The 2023 Life Cycle Analysis demonstrates the carbon savings per glass bottle to be produced in the NextGen Furnace, compared to a bottle from a conventional AGP furnace. A typical 330ml glass bottle produced in the conventional AGP furnace at Obernkirchen produces 140.1g of CO2, compared with one to be produced in the NextGen Furnace once fully operational at 80% renewable electricity and 20% gas, which will produce 43g of CO2: a 69% reduction across Scope 1, 2 and 3 emissions. Depending on the production mix, the NextGen Furnace could save up to 45,000 tonnes of carbon every year, compared to a conventional furnace.