The Monofrax plant was established in 1948 by The Carborundum Company to manufacture fused-cast refractories. Over its 70 year history, Monofrax employees have developed the know-how to produce more than a dozen product compositions. These materials are successfully used for glass melting, steel reheat, electrolytic reduction cells, coal gasification, nuclear waste vitrification and black liquor gasification. Since the 1990s, Monofrax has supplied its products to the glass industry worldwide. While ownership of the Monofrax plant has changed hands several times, the one constant has always been its trademark. Monofrax® represents high quality, reliability, strong customer service, product and process innovation, and performance.